When it comes to women, secrets and romance most men feel a little confused. Knowing which signals mean that a woman is interested in you can be difficult to determine with so many changes to the way in which men and women act.
Not so very long ago the interaction between men and women dictated a certain protocol that both sexes often followed. While this may seem too formal for today's society, it may have made things a little easier for the men in the past. Today a woman may share an intimate secret with you, pat you on the rear and jump in the pool nearly naked right next to you…and have a crush on your best friend.
How then is a man supposed to determine whether or not to make a move without risking his feelings when so many of the tell-tale signs have been obliterated by progress?
In truth, there are no guarantees. Some women will shamelessly flirt with a man in order to procure free drinks at a bar, while others are so subtle with their flirting that a man might mistake their batting eyelashes for a look of mockery.
There is some light at the end of the tunnel due to the fact that so many women tend to associate romance with traditional ideas. The classics like walking on the beach under a moonlit sky, or a carriage ride around the park still appeals to many of even the most independent women.
It is because of these romantic notions that have survived the changes in our society that some of the traditional telltales that women have when they find a man attractive can be spotted. Though with each unique woman a look or phrase may be altered, these common signs of interest come with a good chance that if you make that first move, you won't regret it:
- Unchangeable Bloom: What was true a hundred years ago is still true today, if a woman blushes when you're speaking with her there is a good chance it is because she has a crush on you. This also applies to quickly looking away, and stammering when speaking.
Risk: She may just find speaking with men difficult, but your chance for romance is excellent.
- You're Not a Comic: If you toss out a not-so-funny joke and she laughs a little too much, it's probably because she finds you attractive and doesn't want to insult your ego. If you're still not sure, try slipping in another lousy joke and see if she responds the same way. If after two junkers she is still laughing, you have a good shot at a dinner date.
Risk: While you must factor in her just being polite or having a strange sense of humor, two bad jokes is a pretty good lock for mutual attraction, (though you may want to clue her in some day that you don't actually have such horrible taste.)
- My Shadow: If day after day she manages to pop up in places that you regularly go, it's very possible that she's trying to get up the nerve to speak with you. Try some real eye contact and see if her facial expression reads acknowledgment of the oddity or a complete lack of interest, (as if she has no idea that you end up in the same spots.) Even if it is fate playing a hand and she wasn't semi-stalking you, it's likely that you have some things in common. Make sure she notices you on several separate occasions, and then feel free to make your move.
Risk: Fate can be a real pain in the rear and it's possible that she is actually married with three kids and it's all a coincidence; however, because you are ending up in the same spots you will probably both get a good laugh out of it, even if that laugh doesn't lead to a date.
- Closing the Distance: Many women tend to give men a good amount of space simply because so many guys tend to get a little handsy when the opportunity arises. If you find that a woman is finding reasons to get abnormally close to you, possibly bumping into "by accident," it may because she's trying to get your attention.
Risk: Though there's a good chance she finds you attractive, your definition of close might be her definition of normal so try to make some eye contact and get a reaction before heading in. (A small percentage of the time she may prove to be simply after your wallet, an unskilled pickpocket with pretty eyes, but it's unlikely.)
- Fidgeting in Your Eye line: Whether it's playing with her hair or running the straw of her drink over her lips, if she's staring at you when she'd doing this, there's a good chance that she's either trying to get you to notice her, or she's thinking some fairly sensual thoughts while looking in your direction. In either case if you can get a smile, you have a pretty good shot at getting a date.
Risk: Some ladies do fidget when they have something on their mind and this might have nothing to do with you; however if the lady is distraught she might also need someone to talk to in which case you might just turn out to be her hero for the evening.
Tips for the Timid:
Every Day Nerves: When the lady who captures your interest is a part of your daily (or weekday,) routine you are given a rare opportunity to test her affections without revealing your own feelings. If you suspect she might like you, but won't step forward you can take steps toward assuring yourself of her feelings. Discuss your favorite colors and preferences for women's clothing (make sure she knows you mean on women, not yourself,) and even hair styles and see what she wears the next day. Though many women won't buy an entire new wardrobe for a crush, they will try to attract attention by doing their hair differently or wearing the man's favorite color. If the lady seems to be wearing things tailored to capture your eye, the road to victory is most likely clear, ask away.
- One Time Opportunity: If you think a woman might be interested in you, but you have no interest in being the strike out man, try to make enough eye contact, smiling returns and general acknowledgment from a distance that she will be compelled to come to you.